blogger visitor

Friday, May 25, 2012

A moment to shine

24th May 2012 : A beautiful gorgeous sunny day (Yes! Its a privilege to see sun in this country :D And I am already losing my patience.  I am a girl from Orissa who spent almost all her life in places which literally come to a boiling temperature in summers..Remember?. My body is not accustomed to not having enough sunlight :P... anyway, we will talk about the need for the intake of vitamin D sometime later :D),15:40 and I started my journey from Telford.I had told almost everyone that I possibly could, the reason for leaving early including the 'Ring and Ride' Van Coordinator.Now interestingly the Van is always on time!Always! but yesterday it was late :) and I really started to wonder - why do things go wrong just at the time when you need it to be right the most? May be to spice up the important day for you ... so that later you have a story to tell like I am doing right now :)? Well I would like to believe so...I had a train to catch at 15:51 and I could see the clock ticking and the time was now 15:47 and finally the 'Ring and Ride' van arrived ("Ring and Ride" , interesting name isn't it :D )! Now the mutlibillion question is - Can we make it to the station in another approximately 4 minutes ;)...If your answer was Yes!?!? you lost the chance to become a multibillioner :-P we took 5 mins ...did I miss my train? Did I ????? Well no, and probably this is the only time I will thank national rail services UK for doing this ;) 'THE TRAIN WAS LATE BY 7 MINS'! Yipeee! I haven't missed my train but the number '7' didn't seem to put a smile on my face yet! Because I had a connecting train to catch for worcester at 16:45. The quest is still on 'Would she make it or not?'. The train finally arrived and I got inside the train. I searched for an empty seat and I found one! Seated , I preferred not to call anyone as I wanted to save the battery of my mobile phone and I am so glad I did so. You will come to know about it soon enough ;) Sometimes you do feel that God makes you do certain things because he has a better plan for your future. Well, thats the bit of Gyan from me coming your way :D ....The train from telford always drops me off in Platform 1 of Birmigham new street station so I did a check on my mobile phone to find out the platform number where the train to Worcester would be arriving. Platform 5 it is!! So, my plan was to get off in platform 1, take the staircase because the escalators will be rush and then run towards platform 5 and board the train. Why? Because there cannot be any other plan :-| The train arrived in Birmingham new street and time was now 16:43 on my watch and to my surprise, I was on platform 4 and I could see the train to Worcester standing on the other side... I got off the train and boarded the train to worcester and it literally started moving! Phew! Bless you National Rail Service. You did a fanstastic job :) Happy and excited,I finally made a call to Abhay. Yeah! I was on my way to Worcester! Have I told you why? Duh! I don't live in worcester anymore. Ofcourse I don't but the glorious golden torch of Olympics 2012 was arriving in Worcester yesterday evening :) I have grown up watching this famous symbol of sports on TV and I couldn't afford to miss this oppurtunity. I still remember the summers of 1992, Barcelona Olympics and 1996, Atlanta Olympics. Then a young little girl,I used to wake up at around 5 in the morning to see the opening/closing ceremony on Doordarshan. My father will be all set with his VCR to capture these historical moments on a cassette(The place used to be literally full of wires) while my Mom will be making Tea for herself to stay awake and I will be dancing around on the tunes of the olympics theme song , hoping and wishing that one day I will witness it myself live :)

I finally arrived at the Foregate street,Worcester and met my partner in crime 'Abhay' who was waiting for me :) I bought some drinks to combat the humid day and moved on to see the atmosphere around.The whole town was beautifully decorated with balloons and ribbons in green , purple and yellow. I had never seen this place being so festive before. Oh what a lovely feeling it was to be back. Worcester is like home for me and always gives me a very warm feeling. This place has also been extremely lucky for us and has brought beautiful moments in my life and here I was again :) And I knew it won't fail me this time around as well. We moved on to join the bystanders to see the torch on its journey to the London Olympics 2012 stadium. On our way, we happened to meet our close friends John and Michelle and we were so glad to share this special moment with them. Yes we were all so very excited! I asked abhay to take out our dear Canon 1000D Camera which I had thoughtfully kept inside his office bag after fully charging its battery the previous night. It was this moment when my mood turned upside down. He realized that he had taken it out from the bag and left it in his office table. Wow! Can I get luckier? And then he doesn't even want me to be sad. Its just not happening! I had to literally force myself to keep a smile. I wanted to cry out loud and beat him hard :'( Though on a second thought, I am glad it happened because then I would have been really busy composing shots and would have really missed out the real fun.Yes, I have seen lots of memorable moments only through the lens :D The presence of John and Michelle has also been the factor behind my forgiving behavior :D (Now you know why God forced me to save the battery of my mobile phone :P)

Hundreds of youngs and olds had lined up on the either side of the street by now to welcome the torch , waving flags and ribbons,whistling and cheering. Almost everyone had a smile on their faces because everyone knew thats its finally happening and that we all are here! We had also grabbed our vantage point for this once-in-a-lifetime event by now! In every intervals of 5 minutes, an advertisement Van would pass and someone would scream - here it is ! False Alarm :) Every now and then,the crowd would start to cheer and my heart beats would pace up. I could feel the Olympics Spirit by now. That was the feeling for almost an hour until it finally arrived :)!!!!!!! *** Drums Rolls *** .... I was finally witnessing a historical moment of my life. The famous golden

torch in the arms of a lady in white waving and smiling as she progressed ahead. I had the flame, the symbol of 'the light of spirit,knowldge and life' and the important moment of Olympics London 2012 in front of me.It was just a fraction of a minute but it was beautiful and worth every second of waiting under the sun. However, this was not the last time I was seeing it B-). We (John and Michelle, Abhay and myself) had a good run towards the friar street to get a glimpse of the torch again and we were second time lucky. It was literally a recap for us... taking pictures,videos,cheering we did it all over again :) And still we hadn't had enough! We quickly made our way towards the Cathedral and saw this proud moment of Worcester and its residents and watched the torch go past. The Cathedral and the Edward Elgar statue is the symbol of Worcester and it must be an honour for the residents to welcome the flame home in everyway. The torch was in the hands of a young boy and he should always feel very proud about it:) We finally bid farewell to the relay team as they progressed towards the Worcester Bridge and we headed home!

To be honest, I felt very touched and was moved surprisingly. I was over excited without any doubt but to live this moment ,having Abhay by my side, made it much more special and will remain in my heart and memories forever :) Our 'Moment to Shine'!

A video for you all :


Thanks for reading :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home