blogger visitor

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Delhi ..... winters ....bread dhokla... and Me :)

I would always like to believe that in this world, everything happens for a good reason and if thats true then meeting this wonderful person must be the reason why I joined Amity School of Engineering and Technology in New Delhi almost a decade ago. Yes! I am talking about none other than my best friend , my sister from another mother 'Nidhi Batra'. There was a strong connection between us the moment we met and the bonding has just got stronger everyday. We have always been very shy in expressing how much we care for each other and extremely expressive in displaying our anger/anguish :P which is why this post will definitely come as a huge surprise for her.

It was the chilli winters of December 2003 when I decided to stay at Nidhi's home for the semester examination and got introduced to her lovely family. No other family can make you feel more warm and welcomed. I felt as if I have always been a part of it.And since then they all have been an integral part of my life.Yes! That was also the time when I missed my family trip to Tirupati :( anyway... moving on :)

Few days ago, I recalled a particular dish that I used to relish whenever I used to visit their home.I have never tasted it anywhere else and would like to believe that its aunty's (Nidhi'z Mother) recipe. Words will fail to explain what an amazing cook and what a beautiful person she is. I immediately asked Nidhz to mail me the recipe and so she did!

Last night, when I reached home, I had only a minuscule amount of energy left in my body but it was good enough to allow me to walk and reach to the refrigerator to see if I can get my hands on any previous night's left overs :P I saw a fresh jar of curd lying over there and I immediately got into action! Now , generally , when a person thinks of cooking a particular dish , he/she would first check if all the ingredients are available before starting to cook. I would like to call it a Bottom-up approach in cooking. I , on the contrary, like to follow a top-down approach :) I start cooking first and collect the ingredients later (Abhay gets really vexed up with his habit of mine). Lucky for me! I had all the ingredients available at home last night which saved my 5 minutes walk to Sainsbury's :)

Abhay doesn't feel very enthusiastic whenever I do an experimental cooking and conveyed the message that he will manage his own food :D Meanwhile I kept telling him about all the memories that this dish has brought back.The wonderful time I spent with Nidhi and his family , the late night dinners (at 1 pm) :P , Stuffed paranthas and curd , the killing winter which Nidhi never found killing enough ;) And between all the talking , the bread dhokla was ready! After seeing the end result , it didn't take long enough for Abhay to finish the plate. He absolutely loved it :) And just in case you are wondering what did it look like then here it is : The Bread Dhokla ! Taaa-daaa


Thanks Aunty for introducing me to this lovely dish and for all the love and affection that you have given me always :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely post .:) Thanks for it .. :) You can write its recipe in next post .. :D

May 3, 2012, 4:22:00 AM  
Blogger k!Rti said...

Chetsssssssss....you are such a sweetheart...thanks for all the good good things you said about nidhi, mom, the dhokla and the family...yes you will always be a part of the family...and m sure nidz must be flying high to see (read) your love for her...love you loadssss...hope to taste your dhokla some day...till then take loads of care...hugs and kisses...muahhhhh :))))

May 3, 2012, 5:11:00 AM  
Blogger Consciousness said...

I wish I had a like button to like ur comments :) Thanks sweethearts .... Love u!

May 3, 2012, 9:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home