blogger visitor

Monday, June 25, 2012

The day we met her Majesty 'The Queen'....

This year is turning out to be quite an eventful one for me :)

It was supposed to be a very windy and a stormy weekend for us according to the BBC forecast(I am talking about last to last weekend. I know! things are coming pretty late in my blog but please bear with the pace of a working lady with a busy life :P) and I had no plans to do anything exciting. However, since my parents have paid a visit to us, weekends have become anormously valuable. Keeping the windy weather in mind ,we thought of visiting museums in London instead of having any outdoor plans.

Saturday Morning, 16th June 2012 : We, the fantastic four marched out of our home and realized that the weather wasn't so bad after all. We changed our plan and decided to visit the magnificent 'Big Ben' , the regal 'Buckingham Palace' and the arresting 'Tower Bridge' instead. We took a Jubilee line tube from Canary Wharf station to the Westminister and there we were, infront of the most beautiful monument of the United kingdom. Papa started taking pictures from the moment he got the glimpse of it and  Mom couldn't stop posing.Well! I was mesmerized with its beauty and elegance when I had seen it for the first time last year and I wasn't expecting any different reaction from them either :) We came across the making of Miss Hong Kong as well. And while the photographer inside me was cursing the team for blocking a very good photogenic spot,Abhay had ,for obvious reasons, no complaints ;) :D

When Mom and Papa had a good look around the parliament, we decided to walk down the Birdcage Walk Street* towards the Buckingham Palace. On our way, we saw lots of road blocks,diversions, Security guards and Policemen. By the time my brain registered what is going on , my body had already started to respond. It was the Queen's 86th birthday celebration and her carriage was going to pass by after the 'Trooping of the Colour' ceremony to the Palace where she would finally greet the citizens by coming out on the famous balcony of the Buckingham Palace.... Woohhhooooo!!!!! Run , Run, Run!!!! While my father preferred to walk; Abhay, I and Mom were literally running. And I won't be lying when I will be saying this , I couldn't beat my Mommy :D


The entire Road was blocked and there were people on either side , jampacked. However,we still found a good spot and decided to wait. After around 20 minutes of wait , the Queen's Guards began to march.Dressed in red with hairy hats , they are truly the symbols of the rich history of the United Kingdom. Visit any souvenir shop and you will find their statues in all shapes and sizes. No tourists leaves London without getting a picture clicked with them :)

while crossing the road ;)



After all the regiments marched past us , the carriages with famous people in it began arriving..... Drums Rolling
  •  Prince of Wales
  • Prince Williams 
  • Prince Harry
  • Duchess of Cambridge, Kate
 And finally her Majesty The Queen and Prince Philip...


There were nearly 1000 pictures being taken every second in that piece of land that morning :D The carriages must have disappeared within minutes and then there was silence. It was a feeling similar to what you have when your last exam gets over and you do not know how to relax! The entire crowd started dispersing like honeybees right after the comb being struck by a stone. We wanted to cross the road and go to the other side to catch a tube to Tower of London but the destiny had something else in store for us. When the guards allowed us to cross the road , we realized that all the guards have moved out and that we can go straight till the palace without any obstruction and what do you think we did? We chose to go to the tube! Ofcourse not :D We rushed towards the palace :P A pure 'Ad-hoc planning'. Abhay inquired a guard about the events to come and we were being told that the queen including all the other royals would address the crowd from the balcony at 1 PM. Hmm , not bad at all!. It was literally a recap for us....run , finding a good spot, get ready to take pictures, Mom over excited and Papa not so much ! :D however , I wanted to stand very close to the gate to get as close as I can. On the other hand,Abhay was looking for a good spot for taking pictures and in this confusion we lost each other in the crowd. Luckily my parents were with me and I managed to grab a good spot. Minutes later,I  realized that all the cameras were in Abhay's bag! Too late! So, I decided to just enjoy the moment and not worry about taking the pictures. I had full faith on Abhay that he will do a splendid job which he did! He has taken brilliant pictures and videos! :)

The royal flag : a symbol of the presence of The Queen in the palace.





Finally when the clock striked 1, the door opened and the Queen lead the Royal family on the balcony.


 I have been seeing this historical tradition all my life on TV , I couldn't believe that it would happen with a snap of my finger. No drama , No planning ...exactly the way I like it. When Kate and Prince William stepped out , I just couldn't stop telling mom how tall she is ... Meanwhile , my Mom was busy screaming :) She was really excited ! :D


 I hugged her from behind and waited to witness the famous flypast by the Royal Air Force. And there they came.... Finally the airshow followed and then the queen went inside followed by the rest of the Royals.

Royal Fly Past 2012
It was an amazing experience and my parents presence made it extra special for both of us! It feels beautiful when happiness and excitement can be shared with your dear ones :) Everyday thousands of people visit the palace and make a wish to get a glimpse of her majesty. Who would have thought that Mom and Papa would see them all on the very first visit? :)
My beautiful Mom

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice :) I really pity The Queen ... she must be soo bored being 'The Queen' all the time...why cant they just pass it on while one is still alive n kickin?... nice clicks... likey likey da last pic :)

Jun 30, 2012, 8:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home