blogger visitor

Monday, June 21, 2010

Valkyrie : Ein Erstaunlich film



I happened to watch the movie 'Valkyrie' yesterday. Hold on! Is it my second movie review in a row? :) Don't worry. Am not turning into a movie critic. The truth is that I am either at the office most of the time OR at home watching movies these days. And you obviously don't want me to write about the former ;) So, lets roll the dice!


The movie is nothing short of spectacular.It was hard for me to believe that I was watching a movie. I have always been a Tom Cruise fan ( yes , I am :)) but that has mostly been because of his charisma. 'Valkyrie' proved to me that he is an extraordinary actor and seeing him in uniform is always a treat. :-D


Before I talk about the things I loved, let me give you a backdrop of the story. The movie portrays Tom Cruise as Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg who proposed and executed the idea of an attempt to assassinate Hitler and save Germany from his atrocities. It is about the 20th July plot of 1944. The mission was being named 'Valkyrie'. The winning element of the movie is that despite being aware of the fact that Hitler wasn't assassinated and instead had committed suicide, you wish for the success of 'Valkyrie' and believe for a moment that Hitler was actually dead. I kept telling myself "Hitler can't be dead. I know he committed suicide" :). The movie definitely succeeded in building up the suspense for me despite being aware of the history. Another fact that cannot go unnoticed is the character 'Adolf Hitler' played by David Bamber. His resemblance with Adolf Hitler is astonishing. Take a look :

You obviously know "who is who" ......Right? ;)


Even Tom Cruise’s similitude with Stauffenberg is plenteous.


Agree ?? :)


If you look at the following link after watching the movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_July_plot , you can easily recognize the characters. The movie is a masterpiece and definitely deserves kudos for making it look so real.I also loved the fact that a movie was being made on an incident which we all know failed to be a success. The question in my mind was 'How and why did it fail'? and I absolutely enjoyed finding it out :)


An after thought : I watched this movie after watching Raavan. This could also be one of the reasons why I loved it so much :-D

3 Comments:

Blogger Ankit said...

strangely no comments....

Just an interesting fact and an unfortunate example of the butterfly effect.: Had the brief case not been moved by one of the officers(the brief case was moved to the other side of some table partition just by an involuntary action of sorts) Hitler would have died ( most of the people standing on one of the sides of Hitler either died or were seriously injured).

And we all know, most of the damage was done after this date and continued till Hitler shot himself .

Jul 29, 2010, 3:40:00 PM  
Blogger Consciousness said...

Thanks Ankit for writing in :)

I agree with what you have written but then history is full of 'what ifs'. Isn't it?

Jul 29, 2010, 4:51:00 PM  
Blogger Ankit said...

hmmmm

Jul 29, 2010, 5:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home