blogger visitor

Sunday, June 20, 2010


REVIEW : Raavan (Tamil) :)

Yesterday , I ,with my friends, watched Raavana in Tamil language (Please don't ask me why! :D).If you don't know me personally then let me tell you a fact about myself. “I don't understand 'Tamil' “ :D. I am still going ahead and writing a review .... I know its a pathetic thought! But can't help :)


Before I begin, let me disclose the fact that I am a huge admirer of Mani Ratnam and my expectations are always high from his movies. When I found out that the movie Raavan is a modern take on the Asokavanam phase of Ramayana , I understood the storyline and I am sure you all did too. So, I expected some new elements to the story. Whereas Raavana has not an even single surprise and the ending of the movie just kills it.


The character Veera (Raavan) is full of exaggerated expressions and annoying noises (you know what I mean if you have seen the movie). It would have been interesting if they would have shown 10 facets of the same personality instead of just showing how many different noises he can make. The character Raagini (Sita) has nothing to do in this movie except trying to flee away and getting caught again. It was even worse to see her getting drowned in water with all her makeup being intact. I liked the music of course and the location where the movie has been shot. The cinematography is really praise-worthy.


Overall I didn't like the movie but it is unfair to comment until I watch it in Hindi and understand the dialogues. But honestly, there is nothing much to understand:). You can make out what's happening if you have read/watched Ramayana. I will try to watch Raavana (Hindi version) this week and will update. Let me see if my reviews about the movie will change or not. Let me find out if 'Language' can really make any difference :) Till then, have a great time!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ritish said...

Yet to watch it thought this movie didn't gather any great reviews.
I didn't like the previews anyway.

Hats off to you for watching it in Tamil. The next World Classical Tamil Conference will be held in Coimbatore later this month.. The organizers should give you an award or something! :-D.

Jun 21, 2010, 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Consciousness said...

I fully AGREEEEE .... Can you somehow make this link reach them please :D ??

Btw , I am thinking if I should watch it in Hindi now? Am left with no more energy.

Jun 21, 2010, 5:21:00 PM  
Blogger Ritish said...

Don't waste ur money again.. Wait for few weeks. It'll be on TV! :-)

Jun 21, 2010, 5:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home