blogger visitor

Monday, May 26, 2008


'I' and my 'Orkut phases'
This whole journey began when my sister sent me an invitation to join Orkut.At the very start,I believed that it has got something to do with 'Osho' :D .Funny it may sound but I had no clue about it.When I had joined,I was amazed with the whole idea.I used to be ecstatic to see any scrap from my sister though she always used to be available on yahoo messenger :D.The concept was new to me and so was the feeling.I started searching for all my friends with whom I lost the touch while hopping from one place to another,one school to the other.I used to be thrilled to find any student from any school I have been associated with.At that time Orkut was limited to invitees and was an independent website(not taken over by google then! ).I personally invited lots of my friends and Orkut became an easy way to be in touch with everyone.I sincerely would like to thank Orkut for helping me find my long lost friends whom I have been missing so badly!!!! The first phase ended with the hunt for all the people I have known and I could possibly find in the world of Orkut.


The second phase began with knowing about my friends,their current ventures,about that past which I couldn't witness,unshared stories etc. But the best part was 'GOSSIPS' :) I could go to anyone's scrapbook;read anyone's reply,about anyone's life;check out anyone's pics .... in short 'ORKUT became an open book of our lives'.Orkut is addictive and I couldn't refrain myself from being an inveterate user.A better profile became a status symbol :) More friends , more fans .... BINGO !!... You are going on the track of being a popular Orkutian!But it was not late enough when I realized (thanks to my sis who always kept me alert of the pros as well as the cons of it) that if I can know about just anyone and just anything ,SO CAN OTHERS !!!!.And that is what brought an end to the second phase.

The third phase began with my activities being little dormant in orkut.I requested all my friends to write me an email to share anything.But it also introduced an important truth of life to me.The friends who were your life at some point of time may not be your friends for life.I realised that those miles really bring distances between friends.They are really busy now! No one has really enough time to click on the compose button and write an email.Realizing the reality really helped me move on.I can finger count the number of real friends I have.Third phase taught me the best thing in life I couldn't have learnt in any other way.

Strangely,about an year ago we started listening the term 'Orkut' in the news channels.But as it has been said "Every path has its puddle !",Orkut became an unsafe community.On one hand,it was increasing a person’s friend circle,on the other it was exposing all of us to people who are dangerous and reckless. I started getting constants words from my elders and seniors to stay away from it.At the same time,Orkut community claimed to be 'SAFER and BETTER'.But only one thought struck my mind ! 'Why am I here ?'.I joined orkut to be in touch with people who brought smiles to my face ':)',not to make me feel insecure,unsafe ':(' .And with that came the last phase.I have an account but I hardly visit it.I have the details of all the people I have ever known personally but I don't think I am interested to know about it anymore ! Whenever I feel the need of any of my friends ,I just pick up my mobile and make a call

Love,
Chetna

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see a post after so so so long! Don't hibernate more than neccessary... Get back to serious and maybe committed blogging...

-Diya

Jun 3, 2008, 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Harsha said...

Initially when I fisrt saw orkut. I felt "ah! yet another crap on the web". That is becuase I was more used to sharing email IDs, chatting on IRCs etc. Orkut gained significance when it actually got deeply integrated with gmail, gtalk etc. and that is really very convinient.

I am sure one experiences a increase in number of contacts, friends visiting us etc. all these happens in terms of geometric progression. :-)

Jun 3, 2008, 2:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home